Monday, January 12, 2015

With Love, The Spinner


A few months back, Jill was sipping her morning coffee and the thought came to her:

"The annual carnival for people with disabilities is coming up; last year's was amazing! The same families will come, and repetition is essential, but I think a new booth would be fantastic!"

*she views this on amazon.com*


"Mmmmm.....I like it. But I need it wheelchair accessible, walker-friendly, and a whole lot bigger."



Tim suggests hiring a student keen on working with his hands.

Blueprints, deadlines and cash is exchanged between Jill and the student/my creator (in the red shirt).





Success! 
I am made! I work!  I am ready!  



I'm in a closet?!



Why am I being stored alongside all this?

*one month later*


An hour ride in a pick up, woo hoo!


I am finally going to be used!

What did you say?  I will be used ALL DAY?  
Bring it on...I am ready.  

Wait a second, I can see other things getting set up.

Wow! Look at all this:
























Who is this? He is coming toward me and coming fast!


That's great, write your name on the back.


This is going to turn out beautiful. I can feel it.


He loves me!




They love me!






I'm getting quite the workout!


My fearless bearded operator.



What a DAY!
  
I created art.

I crossed cultural boundaries.

I saw smiles and heard laughs. 

I helped these kids and their caretakers, in a small way, to  know they matter. 

I love this.

I am exhausted.


With love, The Spinner

***


Check out our first carnival blog post and the background story of why we love doing this.

What was your favorite carnival booth as a kid?   Leave a comment to give us some ideas!

Thanks for reading.


2 comments:

  1. LOVE this! What great pictures from a great day with great folks filled with GREAT love!! Abracos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Spinner, Helpers, Spinner-inventor, Bearded Man.....looks like an amazing day for all!!!

    ReplyDelete